JOB DESCRIPTION – VILLAGE MANAGER
*Previous applicants need not reapply.
The Village Manager will be considered an employee of the Village Council, answerable directly to the Village Council. The manager shall be the administrator of the Village, responsible to the Village Council for the efficient administration of all affairs of the Village and its departments, except as specifically delegated to another officer by Act 3 of 1895, as Amended, which is our charter.
The Village Manager shall be responsible for:
- attending all meetings of the Council, Planning Commission and Zoning Board of Appeals, participating, but not voting.
- making recommendations to the Village Personnel Committee on the employment and/or discipline of the Clerk, Treasurer and DPW Director positions, with Council having final approval.
- hiring part-time or seasonal employees
- disciplining and/or dismissing part-time or seasonal employees with final review by the Personnel Committee.
- being an ex-officio member of all committees of the Village Council without a vote.
- preparing and administering the budget with Council’s final approval, as provided for in the Uniform Budgeting and Accounting Act, Act 2, P.S. of 1968, as Amended and shall serve as finance officer.
- acting as the purchasing agent, except in the department of public works, in which case the DPW Director shall be the agent.
- making recommendations to the Council for approval of such measures as may be deemed necessary for the improvement or betterment of the Village.
- carrying out Village Council policies or directives.
- being director of personnel of the Village.
- being grants administrator of the Village, who actively seeks grants.
- acting as a representative for the Village, whenever the need arises or at the request of the Council.
- acting as public relations person, which may include responding to citizen requests and/or directing them to the proper agency.
- being responsible for federal-revenue-sharing reporting, public hearings, etc., and shall keep updated on regulations
- being responsible for all correspondence to and from the Village, except that specifically designated to someone else by charter.
Knowledge and Skills:
The manager must have executive abilities, including managerial and financial skills. The manager must also have administrative abilities including organizational skills and familiarity with computer software including Microsoft Office Suite. He/she will also have excellent written and verbal communication skills. The ideal candidate has a thorough knowledge of the principles and practices of local government administration, including organizational forms and structures, budgets, contracts, operating methods and procedures.
The candidate needs to exhibit a passion for serving people and be sensitive to social issues. He/she will be an enthusiastic team builder and possess the ability to confer with local, county and government officials, as well as other key individuals, to resolve problems.
The ideal candidate will be familiar with ordinances, zoning and planning issues and possess a good understanding of them. He/she should have demonstrated an ability to manage a variety of issues simultaneously, be self-motivated, proactive and prepared to show examples of his/her visionary ability.
Minimum of five years of increasingly responsible senior management experience in municipal government or other governmental agencies or comparable leadership and management experience in public, nonprofit or private organizations.
Salary Range: $45,000 - $60,000 per year with limited benefits, possibility of a 4 day work week, depending on qualifications.
The personnel committee of the Ortonville Village Council will review applications, interview selected candidates and make recommendations to the council. Ortonville Village Council will ultimately approve the hiring of the village manager.
How to apply:
Please send your resume including references, in a sealed envelope to:
P.O. Box 928
Ortonville, MI 48462
You may also hand-deliver your sealed package to the Ortonville municipal offices,
476 Mill Street,
Ortonville, MI 48462
between the hours of 9:00 a.m. and 5:00 p.m.
Alternatively, you may email your documents to [email protected]
DEADLINE: Wednesday, February 7, 2018 at 5:00 p.m. If mailing your application, it must be postmarked no later than Wednesday, February 7, 2018