ONLINE BURN PERMITS ARE NOW AVAILABLE!!!
Permits can only be obtained by going to either Station #1 at 53 South Street, or Station #2 at 3065 S. Sashabaw Road. You are required to fill out the permit and sign it. You will be given a copy of the rules and a calendar of the burning days. Any property owner with three acres or more will be allowed to burn on any day.
You may apply for your yearly burn permit online please click on this link:
Permits cannot be obtained for those living in either of our mobile home communities, due to their regulations.
Burning permits are a privilege. They can be revoked at any time by an Officer of the Brandon Fire Department. It is the permit holder's responsibility to follow the rules and use common sense on not burning on windy days or during periods of drought.
The burning permit must be renewed annually (January 1st of each year),
To obtain a current burn calendar please click the link: current calendar for burning
The following are the burning rules.
RULES FOR BURNING AS FOLLOWS
- Open burning is allowed by permit only. And shall be issued by Brandon Fire Department, subject to the rules of this article.
- Open burning is allowed during the following times:
Summer hours (April 1st through November 30th 8:00 a.m. - 8:00 p.m.
Winter hours (December 1st through March 31st 8:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m.
- Parcels of less than 3 acres must follow burn date calendar on back of permit.
- All materials being burned must be from the site. No materials may be brought to the site for purpose of disposal.
- No burning shall be permitted within 50 feet of any structure. (To reduce this to 25 feet the fire must be smaller the 3 feet in diameter and 2 feet in height.) Provisions shall be made to prevent the fire from spreading.
- Campfires must be smaller than 3 feet in diameter and 2 feet in height. Dry seasoned wood only.
- Recreational fires (bonfires) must be no larger than 6 feet in diameter. Must be issued by calling 248-627-4000 on the day the fire will occur. The fire must be extinguished by midnight. Dry seasoned wood only.
- No burning in road right-of-way.
- No flammable liquids shall be permitted to ignite the fire (i.e. gasoline, kerosene, starter fluid, etc.)
- Fire must be attended at all times by someone 18 years of age or older with capabilities of extinguishing the fire.
- No burning shall be allowed on construction sites.
- No burning in windy or drought conditions.
- The size of the pile to be burned shall be no larger than 6 feet in diameter.
Remember burning is a privilege that may be revoked at any time. It shall be the option of the fire official that shall dictate the right to burn.
Burning violations may be subject to fines in accordance to Township and Village Ordinances.
CAN BURN: dry leaves, brush, cut dry grass, papers, wood scraps, dry seasoned wood. To burn a field call 248-627-4000, this will require an onsite inspection.
CAN'T BURN: Petroleum products, plastic, rubber, shingles, tires, treated lumber (wolmanized, railroad ties, etc.), wet leaves, wet grass, furniture, cardboard, garbage, manufactured building products, OSB structure board, wet green grass, fiberglass, carpeting, or anything that causes black smoke or an offensive odor.
LOSS OF PRIVILEGES AND/OR FINES MY RESULT BY NOT FOLLOWING THE GUIDELINES
**When burning, be considerate of your neighbors**